Thursday, October 6, 2011

Congratulations, George



Just a few short weeks until the baby comes, although it could be at any time, really. We're having some issues with fleas, which has prompted me to get rid of all the boxes and clutter. I've been sitting here at my computer, going through boxes of old papers, shredding and tossing what we don't need. I found this toward the bottom of the box I'm currently working on. I'm guessing it was from his first round of treatments when he was still living in Oregon. Back then, we were naively optimistic. We were sure a cure was possible, blissfully unaware of the true nature of that beast.

I had no idea I even had this. I barely even remember seeing it in the first place. How it ended up in my care is beyond me. Needless to say, I was caught way off guard and for a few moments, it tore me wide open. I set it down, accidentally getting a little water on it and sobbed uncontrollably for a while. It's these surprise memories that always hit the hardest. There's just no way to be ready for them. I think I'm okay, now. I can look at it and hold it with minimal shaking. The water has already dried and I can look at the names on it. Everyone who treated George seemed to love him. Gentle giants have that way with people. I wonder if anyone went back and told them that he didn't make it. I wonder if any of them already knew what we couldn't begin to fathom.

  

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember this certificate at all, even though I went to several sessions with him. I've thought of going back, but don't think I dare; the Anger stage might come out. I did let the first 2 doctors who found "Lenny" know. They were so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Lenny" later re-named "Ass" planned the outcome all along. I can't even guess when the doctors knew. I am still certain that George didn't want us to know. He didn't want us to grieve before he was gone. That would have pissed him off.

    ReplyDelete